WHAT IS OPEN GYM?
Sometimes life gets in the way of making it on time for B-Town’s scheduled CrossFit classes.
Sometimes we miss a particular workout, benchmark, or lift that we really want to make up.
Sometimes we want a little extra time outside of class to work on skills, drills, technique, or perform work that’s been assigned to you from your Coach or a personalized training program.
The goals of Open Gym are as diverse as you all are, but here are some highlights of why you might choose to utilize it:
– Complete your personalized training program (different from B-Town’s WoD)
– Do some extra work that your coaches have prescribed to you
– Practice skills at your own pace, outside of the normal group
– Meet with friends, make new ones and workout with them
– Make-up a missed workout of the day
– Prepare for an upcoming competition or event
– Try new things – PLAY with your fitness!
The gym is open and available to you.
We have made it so available that there is little to no excuse to not get in and train/move or do something.
Even during group classes, HOWEVER the class always has priority on equipment, space needed SO WE JUST ASK THAT YOU RESPECT THAT!
And just as a quick reminder, here are a few rules regarding Open-gym use:
1. If a class is going on, they have priority on equipment/space needed for workout of the day.
2. If a Coach is briefing at the whiteboard or teaching on the floor, you are not disruptive or noisy during these times.
3. There will always be a Coach or Coaches available, but no structured coaching.
4. If you’re seen doing something sketchy, you’ll be asked to stop.
5. If a coach asks you to refrain from a certain noisy movement during class time, you’ll be asked to stop.
6. If a coach asks you to move from a certain area, you will please move.
7. This is not the time to converse and socialize with class participants!
8. This is the time to display your gym etiquette by returning equipment after you use them ASAP, and cleaning your training space.
9. Avoid grunting, screaming, or cheering for anyone. Even if they are going for any PRs.
Can I hit the class workout of the day and then something after in Open gym?
Yes, however two important things here.
1. Make sure you’re respecting the next class/environment. Example, you aren’t dropping barbells or doing bike or row sprints during any sort of briefing or coaching.
2. To avoid “overuse” injuries, check in with the Coaches.
Can I do whatever I want?
Short answer, no (because we don’t want you to end up hurt).
If I’m 15 minutes late to class, can I still come in and use Open gym?
Yes! This is an added bonus of having open gym during class hours. Our warm up of the day and workout will already be written out.
(Never skip a warm up, as this is one of the more important pieces getting your body primed and ready, blood flowing and muscles loosened for what you’re about to do.)
Should open gym replace the majority of my training in Group classes?
No. There is nothing better to get the results, coaching, intensity, community and relationship building than within a class. This is the heart of CrossFit B-Town. Open gym time is an added bonus.
I’m short on time on a particular day, can I do something in open gym quick?
Yes. Check in with what the class is using for that day first and ask a Coach for some assistance.